Umpire Clinics are scheduled from time to time throughout the Region, primarily at the request of a local group or club. To request a clinic in your area, please contact Beth Sopka, Chair, Northeast Region Technical Officials Committee. Beth will provide you with all the information you need to set up a clinic and will arrange for an instructor.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Cell: 781.248.2104
Why should I become an umpire? There are many good reasons:
- You love this sport and you really want to help make more good badminton happen in your area. Y
- You get the best seat in the house for the best badminton matches!
- You will really learn all the rules in detail and understand why (for example) your ‘perfect’ winning serve gets faulted whenever there’s an umpire on court!
- You will learn what umpires can and cannot do; when and how to ask for an umpire if you have a problem on the court; what to do if you disagree with an umpire’s call; etc
- You are a parent and your child needs you to travel for tournaments and then you are stuck in a gym and you are driving each other crazy!
- Umpires are totally cool (well, we like to think so).
There are definitely other reasons as well, but these are excellent ones to start. By the way, you likely will never learn the others until you become one!
Parents of juniors, especially – Please seriously consider taking a clinic! Court officials are integral to a well-managed junior tournament ensuring fair competition and on-time matches.